Thursday 1 August 2013

Work Experience at the Royal Ballet School

 photo appeal_zps7ee329db.jpg

Photo from the Royal Ballet School website 

A few weeks ago, I managed to get myself a week of work experience at the Royal Ballet School. I went to the Lower School, which is based in the middle of Richmond Park. My time there was short, but I learned so much. I was helping prepare the costumes for the year 11 graduation show and for the annual performance at the Linbury Studio at the Royal Opera House.

It was the first time I had worked with tutus, something I have always wanted to do. My advice is never wear 10 denier tights while working with them. Mine were shredded by the time the week was over!
I also ended up doing the largest fitting I have ever done. I had to fit around 20 dancers at once, and it was manic, but so much fun.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the dress rehearsal for the show in the Linbury Studio the following week. It was great to actually see something I'd help make, on stage. I learned a lot about how different colours and textures translate to the audience.

 photo Youth-Concerto-Photo-by-Johan-Persson-700x407_zps7cf306b5.jpg

Photo by Johan Persson 

Above are the costumes I contributed to. I thought they looked pretty good! And the piece itself was a treat to watch. I really enjoyed working with the students there, they are all incredibly hard-working and talented.
One of the students runs a blog of her own, which I suggest you have a look at here.  

1 comment:

  1. Very, very cool, Lucy! What a fantastic experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete